What is Google Display Network?
Google Display Network is the platform which allows you to present numerous ads to the target audience. Use Google Display Network for any product or service, where you are targeting a huge number of audience. If you want to create awareness about your product and attract as many users as you can display network is the best platform for you. You can also follow sales funnel strategy for Adwords.
Adwords consists of two primary networks:
- Search Network – Search network is the platform to reach a targeted audience who is already searching for a product or service.
- Display Network – Display network is the platform to show text ads, banner ads, video ads, Gif’s Animation, etc. in ad format in the pre defined Ads jackets to users. Ads Jacket is the size or space which is predefined by Google for the ads to appear. In today’s digital world Google Display Network is the biggest contextual advertising network. In Google display network the ads can appear on more than 2 million websites, 650000 applications including android and IOS. It reaches over 90% of the total internet users.
There are four ways to show Google Display Ads:
1. Text Ads: Text ads include a headline, two lines of text description and a URL. These ads appear on Google search in text format. Check the image for specifications.
2. Banner Ads: Banner ads are interactive ads; they are images with rich media wherein you can customize the layout, include animation and make it attractive.
3. Gmail Ads: Gmail ads appear in the Gmail inbox. You can save, expand and forward these custom ads.
4. Ads in Apps: You can show app ads in particular mobile app category. Create campaigns for App ads on targeting basis, targeting specific mobile app category. Also, you can use demographics to track the performance of the application ads which you run.
The first attempt of Display network is to create awareness.
Google Display Network (GDN) helps you target your audience in different ways:
- Contextual Targeting: This is keyword placement based targeting. It will target the audience based on keywords.
- Topic Targeting: Topic targeting depends on types of matter (product or service) you choose to advertise.
- Remarketing: Retargeting is the method of targeting those people who visited your site through awareness display ads who clicked on the ad while surfing the internet either by choice or by mistake. You can do remarketing on those potential targets to attract them towards your product or service.
Tip of Action: Remarketing is the biggest factor to drive CTR in display ads.
For example, If you are reading content about digital marketing and you, see ads for the camera from Amazon as display ads, and you click on that ad. Now Amazon has the information that you visited their site through display ads. They target you again to show their product to you and to attract you while you are doing other stuff over the web.
- Managed Placement: Managed positioning is the method to target and manage sites and pages, where you want to place your ad. You can control which are the best suitable places or sites to show your ad and where do not want your ad to appear.
How to create your first Display Network Campaign?
Well if you are new to display campaign, you can follow these steps in your learning phase.
Login in your Adwords account, choose create a campaign with “Display Network only” option. Choose the option which says “No Marketing Objective.” Well, it does not mean that you do not have a marketing objective. It means that you will drive the campaign as per your settings and requirement. Once you are fluent with the Display Network, you can run it on “Marketing objective” option too. If you have an existing campaign, you can load your existing campaign here.
1. Setting up the campaign:
- If you don’t have a current campaign put the Campaign Name.
- Choose the display location
- Choose the language. Just remember Adwords never translate the ads.
- Choose the bid strategy. There is no position competition in bid strategy in display network. Do not use manual CPC in the beginning. In manual CPC If anyone clicks on the ad even by mistake, you will be accountable to pay for it.
- ✓ Viewable CPM is the best bidding strategy for beginners. It means viewable cost per thousand impressions. It apparently means that until your banner ad appears in front of the user for at least 1 sec and video ad for minimum 2 sec you would not be charged for cost per thousand impressions. After Aug 2016 Google announced Viewable CPM which is a win-win situation for advertisers, middle man (Google) and buyer.
- Decide the Individual Budget. These are the basic steps which is very easy to decide and set once you start a Display network campaign.
2. Delivery Method
- Choose the delivery method as standard
- AD Extension: If you are running a text ad, then only you can use ad Extension. You can use Ad extension to make the Text ad more prominent for a user. Unlike Search Network you will find only two ad extensions in the Display network. Only location and call extensions are available in Display Network for text ads.
3. Ad Scheduling
- It’s the method to choose the date and time when you want to run your ads.
4. Ad delivery —-> Ad rotation, frequency capping, Digital content label
- In Ad rotation choose the option which says optimize for clicks. In this option, ads are displayed in a way to expect more clicks.
- Frequency Capping is a nice feature where in you can decide how many viewable impressions of the ads you want Google to show to an individual user. It can display ads to a user for the number of times decided by you either per day, per week or month per campaign or ad group or ad. You can choose on to it as per your budget or requirement. Just remember, neither over show the ads nor show very often. If you show the ads excessively, the user will get irritated, and if you show very often, the user may not even remember you.
- Use digital content label when you use any digital media or video which is “PG” or “A” material (check guidelines for it)
5. Device —-> target device types, specific devices, and device connection types
- In Devices – Unlike Search Campaign creation you get the option to choose which device you want to run your ad in Display Network. In Mobile and tablets, you can choose where you want your ads to appear. You want your ads to appear on Mobile apps, Mobile apps interstitial which is any ads coming on the mobile app as a popup which covers the entire screen or Mobile web.
- If you choose to display your ads on Mobiles, then the advanced mobile and tablet option is helpful for you. You Can choose which operating systems you want to show your add. You can select device models and networks where you would like to show your ads. These targeting can depend on the product or service you want to display. Also, you can narrow your device and operating system selection depending on the TR1, TR2 or TR3 cities. You can create a here to target the device for the maximum results.
For Example, if you are selling phone accessories and you want to show your ads on mobile devices, you can target particular device and operating systems for which your product is compatible with. Or If you are launching a new phone and you want to run ads in TR1 cities, which has a cost of $500.00 you can target all those device models which were manufactured about a year back within $500.00. If you have done an excellent market research, you will be able to display your ads targeting the right device, OS and service provider.
6. Campaign URL Options advanced
- In this Option, you can create a tracking URL from URL Builder. When the user will click on the ad, this data will be added to your final URL to create your landing page URL. Tracking URL was invented so that users should not remember your user-friendly URL and they should not click on the ads again and again. There is a possibility of Adwords account getting suspended if clicking on a particular link happens again and again from the same IP. You will have to abide by the Google Adwords policy while running Display Ads.
- Now, If you see the URL carefully, it describes that my ads will run on Google as the source is Google. Medium is VCPM, i.e., I am using VCPM strategy, the campaign name is Test Campaign. My paid keyword is “business sales funnel”. I am using the term sales funnel to differentiate ads which appear as UTM content in the above URL. So my final Landing page URL will be http://monarchwebworld.com/sales-funnel-increase-conversion/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=VCPM&utm_campaign=Test%20campaign&utm_term=business%20sales%20funnel&utm_content=sales%20funnel , which is not easy to remember or user friendly.
Tracking URL is the URL which users will click on to go to your landing page. You can even shorten this URL.
7. Dynamic ad settings
Dynamic ad settings refer to remarketing based on feed. If a user visited any product of your site before, you could remarket on them. First, you will have to create your feed in the Business data section of your Shared library with details that you can use in your display ads, such as titles, description, prices, images, and destination URLs. After you’ve created your feed, you can add it to the campaign. AdWords then matches what user viewed on your website to items in your feed. Google shows ads with the same or related products and services to those particular users.
8. Location options (advanced)
- In Location option, you can select or exclude users based on the location, where you want your ads to appear.
These are the primary steps to create a Display Campaign. If you want to create brand awareness or if you want to increase potential customers. Display Network is a good platform. No matter what the user is browsing on the internet, Display ads can appear in front of them. Even if you get 0.5% CTR on Display ads, it’s considered as industry best. Even then amongst the entire advertising options available Google display network is the excellent choice. If you have any trouble making the Display Ad Campaign, you can contact AdWords console, or you can contact us. We will be happy to help you in creating the Display Ad Campaign to drive maximum users for your product or service.